Who is a Salesian Volunteer?
A Salesian Volunteer is a person open to a new world, to a variety of cultures, and has a profound respect for the dignity of the human person. The Salesian volunteer tries to live according to those basic values and attitudes that contribute to his/her way of acting: service, community spirit, "oratorian" style and pro-social justice among others.
Age: 18 to 30
Religious Affiliation: Catholic or Christian
Marital Satus / Dependents: Single with no dependents
Education Level: Minimum High School
Length of Commitment: Varies with applicants
The Salesian Volunteer Should:
- Have successfully completed short term missionary experiences before applying for the long term volunteer experience.
- Be present in all community activities: prayers, daily Eucharist, meals, community meetings, days of recollection, etc.
- Respect the community’s daily schedule
- Respect the community residence (no young people or adults are allowed in bedrooms)
- Adhere to the Safe Children Policy of the site
- Be willing to have open dialogue and communication with the community
- Be a good listener
- Be ready to learn and to seek help and advice when needed
- Be willing to go to a training program (Salesian life experience)
- For those under 21 years old, no alcohol consumption in or out of the community
- Be respectful of the community life
- inform the Director when leaving the premises
- be responsible with the community for the upkeep of the house and property
- respect community boundaries
Discerning the Call?
- Talk with the Salesian Volunteer Coordinator. He may be visiting your campus to talk about The Salesian Volunteer Program. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn the realities of being a Salesian Volunteer from a former volunteer.
- Spend time in prayer and reflection with the information you have and discern if the Salesian Volunteer Program is the program to which you would like to apply
- Attend a “Volunteer Discernment Weekend.” (Candidates are financially responsible).
How to apply?
- Complete the Salesian Volunteer Application
- Have an interview with the Salesian Volunteer Coordinator. (approx. 1 ½ hours)
- Receive detailed information about the screening process (Financial and background check)
- Possible interview with a psychologist
- Arrange for a second interview with the Salesian Volunteer Coordinator
- If possible, be willing to spend a few days in a Salesian community
- Have a phone or personal interview with the Director of the community